Stewardship & Policy Committee WEST
September 25 @ 10:00 am - 3:30 pm
Land Use Planning Changes in Ontario:
Balancing Farming with Development
We are seeking input from members to inform CFFO’s response to government’s proposed changes to the Provincial Policy Statement (PPS), which guides municipal development.
The accelerating pressure of population growth in Ontario combined with government’s priority of increasing housing supply and creating jobs is intensifying our concern that too much farmland will be lost forever.
The Province has called for input to its proposed changes to the 2014 Provincial Policy Statement and is asking the following questions:
- Do the proposed policies effectively support goals related to increasing housing supply, creating and maintaining jobs, and red tape reduction while continuing to protect the environment, farmland, and public health and safety?
- Do the proposed policies strike the right balance? Why or why not?
- How do these policies take into consideration the views of Ontario communities?
- Are there any other policy changes that are needed to support key priorities for housing, job creation, and streamlining of development approvals?
- Are there other tools that are needed to help implement the proposed policies?
For Committee Discussion:
Our goal is to have open discussions to not only respond to the government’s requests but to dive more deeply into finding a way to avert a future crisis in the supply of good farmland. The following questions will guide our discussions:
- What input can the CFFO offer on the five questions listed above?
- What specific policy tools can CFFO develop and offer as realistic mechanisms to ensure enough farmland is preserved?
- What solutions exist for balancing farmland preservation for the good of all and a farm family’s right to benefit from the increased development value of their land?
Lunch and refreshments will be provided. Please help us plan by contacting email@example.com or 519-837-1620 to let us know you’re coming.
Your district may provide reimbursement for travelling expenses. Please contact your district treasurer in advance of the meeting to learn more.
The CFFO holds Stewardship & Policy Committee meetings each fall, in Woodstock and Peterborough. Committee members offer policy direction and on-the-ground expertise to CFFO staff.
Any CFFO member may join these committees. To receive meeting notices, please contact the CFFO.